Home     Hotels in Myanmar

     
     

 
 

 

 


 

Destination in Myanmar - MYEIK
 

The Myeik archipelago situated on the southern Taninthayi Division of Myanmar (formerly known as Tennesarim coast of Burma. Around and on the east Myeik, there are many valuable tin mines, oil palm plantation, and rubber plantation and evergreen forest.

 

AROUND MYEIK

Myeik was the southernmost part of the Pagan Empire between the 11th and 13th centuries. After the Pagan Empire's collapse in 1287, Myeik became part of successive Siamese kingdoms (first Sukhothai, and later Ayutthaya) from the late 13th century to the middle of 18th century (except between 1564 and 1593 when the Burmese temporarily regained control).

From the 16th century on, the city was an important seaport and trading center with the Europeans, who would land at Myeik (then called Mergui), travel upriver to Tanintharyi (Tenasserim) and then cross the mountains to reach Ayutthaya. The French officer Chevalier de Beauregard was made Governor of the city of Mergui after the revolt against the English there in July 1687.[2] De Beauregard was named Governor by Narai, the King of Siam, replacing an Englishman, Samuel White.[3] The French were then expelled from Mergui following the 1688 Siamese revolution.

The Burmese captured Myeik in 1765 as part of an invasion that would ultimately topple the Ayutthaya kingdom in 1767. In 1826, the Burmese ceded the region to the British after the First Anglo-Burmese War (1824–1826).