Home     Hotels in Myanmar

     
     

 
 

 

 


 

Destination in Myanmar - DAWEI
 

Dawei formerly known as (Tavoy), is a city in southeastern Myanmar and is capital of Tanintharyi Region, formerly Tanintharyi Division, situated about 614.3 km (381.7 mi) south of Yangon on the northern bank of the Dawei River. Population (2004 estimate) 139 900. It is situated at 14.09�N 98.20�E. Dawei is a port at the head of the Dawei River estuary, 30 km (18.6 mi). from the Andaman Sea. As a result the city is prone to flooding during the monsoon season.

 

AROUND DAWEI

The area around the Dawei River estuary has been inhabited for centuries by Mon, Kayin and Thai mariners. From the 11th to 13th centuries, Dawei was part of the Pagan Kingdom. From 1287 to 1564, Dawei became part of the Sukhothai Kingdom and its successor Ayutthaya Kingdom (Siam). From 1564 to 1599, Dawei was part of the Toungoo Kingdom of Burma. Siam temporarily regained the city between 1599 and 1614. From 1614 to the 1740s, Dawei was the southernmost city of Burmese authority, and was backed by a Burmese garrison.

 In the late 1740s during the Burmese civil war of 1740–1757, Dawei along with the northern Tenasserim coast was taken over by the Siamese. Burma regained the city and extended its control over the entire Tenasserim coast in 1765. The Tenasserim coast was ceded to the British after the First Anglo-Burmese War (1824–1826).

After independence in 1948, the city became part of the Tenasserim Division, which also included today's Mon State. In 1974, Mon State was carved out of Tenasserim, and Dawei became the capital of the truncated Division. In 1989, the city's English name was changed from Tavoy to Dawei, and Tenasserim became Tanintharyi.